[Fwd: Wanted: art teachers who actually make art, sell art or accept commissions while simutaneousl

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Nigl (playthings)
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 02:01:44 -0600

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:11:41 -0600
From: Nancy Nigl <playthings>
To: artsednet
Subject: Wanted: art teachers who actually make art, sell art or accept commissions while simutaneously teach.

I am interested in hearing opinions about the importance of the
art teacher modeling the role of artist as he/she manages the classroom.
I am a middle and high school art instructor who travels between
schools. I love my job, but I am sad because I do not seem to have time
or energy to get my own art urge fulfilled. I would like to hear from
educators who can relate to my distress because misery loves company.
What I need is to hear from working artist who are also art teachers.
Those who respond will be helping me with my graduate research
paper that deals with the importance of modeling the role of artist in
the classroom. My questions are ; How do students respond to the works
in progress? Do they ever adopt a similar style? Do you as the educator
make art in the classroom for a client, artshows, galleries, or for your
ouw personal satisfaction? Do you think it is important to be an
artist/teacher? Why or why not?
I am interested in how you organize time and in how your work is
marketed or ordered. In other words... tips. The big question is if you
feel being a classroom artist is a benefit to your students? Is it ever
a detriment? Please let me hear from all you art educators
about this subject. If you have any recommended articles on this
subject I would appreciate knowing of them. Thank you.
Alice Winn at Playthings