Texts & ? approaches advocated

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Marvin Bartel (marvinpb)
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 22:34:30 -0800 (PST)

At 01:34 PM 12/6/95 -0600, "Leon R. Nuell" <lrnuell> wrote:
>Take a look at Herberholz' ART WORKS FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS. We
>actually use this for our first course and then use the Hurwitz book
>selectively for methods.

I also use the Herberholz book. It is the best book I have found for a
class of Elementary Education juniors who take one Art Methods course.
However, I am quite ambivalent about the book. While I appreciate much of
it, I am bothered by the large number of suggested art lessons that use the
art history as motivation for studio work. I have always believed it is
better to motivate students to produce art work from their own experiences,
imaginations, and/or direct observations. Showing examples beforehand seems
like giving the answers before they do the problems. How can children feel
it is really their work?
I ask my methods students to present and discuss the art history
AFTER the media work. The media work is to build a frame of reference for
the Art History or Other Culture examples and discussions. Instead of
showing "motivational" examples before the media work, I ask them to plan
for hands-on preliminary practice, sketches, idea lists, and planning to
prepare them to produce media work. Children are to develop content based
on their Own Lives, their Own Times, and Their Own Culture - not to mimic
that of Other Times, Other Artisans, and Other Cultures. They are not make
Totem Poles based on those of Northwest Native Americans. They are to make
sculptures to symbolize themselves as groups and/or individuals in order to
better identify with and understand the Totems of the Native Americans.
It is one thing for a child to get inspired by an artist's work to
the point of wanting to borrow the style or content for her/himself. I
might understand such a motivation on the part of a child who is trying to
learn without the benefit of a teacher. Indeed, many self-taught artists
have no other way to learn. What I don't understand, is professional art
texts and trained art teachers directing students to produce derivative
work. What does this teach about integrity? I am apparently holding a
minority position in this matter, because most curriculum authors have no
scruples about it, excussing the practice with the arguement, "many artists
do it." How about some response?