Re: Food for thought.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Leon R. Nuell (lrnuell)
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 14:37:58 -0600 (CST)

Yours is not an art history dilemma, but a moral one if it a one-on-one
situation, that is, no one else is there and it is just you and the
painting. In this instance one would hope that the choice would be to
save the guard. The idea that any work of art is more valuable/important
than human life is an indication to me of a morally bankrupt
person/system. If others were around who would (not simply could) help
the guard, then and only then should the painting ought to be saved.

How about this. It is reported that Hirschorn was buried as he requested
with his favorite Durer. Is that an ok thing to do? Would it make
a difference if it was one of several prints in an edition or rather a one
of a kind image?