[teacherartexchange] requesting ideas for a narrative...

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2012 - 20:21:09 PST

Greetings one and all!

This list has been a bit quiet lately. Let's see if I can stir it up a bit...
I have a question for you all regarding a plan for a 7th and 8th grade
sculptural experience. I'm looking for a motivating theme for these
kiddos...

I'm intrigued by victory columns, especially Trajan's Column (Rome)
that tell stories in bas-relief. A couple of years ago I purchased
four Sonotubes (you know -- those tubes you pour concrete into for
footings for decks?) that are 12 inches in diameter and 10 feet
long/tall.

I have the celluclay that will be used for the relief figures on the
column surface, but am looking for ideas for the >>narrative<<. Not
all of these students read the same material in their other classes,
so I can't use a book from one of their reading/English classes...

Creating and using the human figure in relief will be a primary focus
in this unit. Once I thought about a 'parade of cultures', using
traditional clothing of various cultures and indigenous peoples,
dwellings, environment... Telling a fairy tale could be an option,
but I would rather expand their frame of reference...

Okay, so there you go. Thanks for considering this request!
Peggy

Margaret Angstadt
http://www.mrudigipix.com/
http://pinterest.com/mruart/

Visual Arts, Grades 7-12
Mill River Union High School
North Clarendon, Vermont

This email may contain information under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act (FERPA) or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act (HIPAA). If this email contains confidential and/or privileged student
or health information and you are not entitled to access such information
under FERPA or HIPAA, federal regulations require that you destroy this
email without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.