Re:[teacherartexchange] Sculpture ideas for unmotivated students

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2011 - 06:57:54 PST

I used to teach a sculpture project with 5th graders that was so popular that a few middle school kids would come back on their own time to make them when I was teaching the unit--Fuzzy Monsters.  It was basically a variation on a wire sculpture that resulted in a fully movable furry monster that reminded me of Muppets.  This was one of my most popular projects, and often requested by incoming 5th graders.  I had the middle schoolers who were interested make their monsters, and because they were fully movable, we would make stop action films with them.  I have shared the plans for these monsters before on this list, and will again if you are interested.  You may have to wait a little--we will be gone for around a week for the holidays, and away from my computer.

Jerry