[teacherartexchange] pictures of art at the Getty

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2011 - 11:52:30 PST

Hi
  You could take pictures sans flash of the work in some of the buildings and not others. (and their collection of illuminated manuscripts that they are known for wasn't open) I didn't take any pictures because I took the tour called "the best of the collection", and was really interested in what the docent had to say and show us. Each of the buildings has a certain "look" of work inside, and the docent picked one per building to talk about. That plus my friend bowed out of the tour, left me with little time for pictures. That said, what I did see while comprehensive, is not as extensive of a collection of what I am used to being near New York City. Most people I spoke to agree that the buildings and grounds are worth the visit more than the collection. The collection reflects John Paul Getty's personal taste. He left millions to dollars to house the collection and to open it up to the public. He also stipulated that there be an educational component to this museum (hence our artsednet connection). The docent was very knowledgeable, and I really would have loved to spend more time looking and learning.

San D