Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching 2 point perspective- advice needed

Date: Thu Dec 09 2010 - 07:58:14 PST

Longtime member (note that I did not say ¨old!¨) Bunki Kramer has a really fun lesson that makes use of perspective. The students learn to draw boxes in space, then they insert a ribbon or snake or worm or dragon slithering in and out of holes in the boxes. It´s just the kind of goofy, nonthreatening assignment a MS student would enjoy, and I also used it with my HS students to incorporate both perspective drawing and the use of values to create depth. She used to have a Web site from Los Cerros Middle School, but our school server is too slow for me to search for it. The lesson may also be on Incredible Art Dept.

---- sarah k <> wrote:
> In your experiences, what has been the most successful approach to
> teaching 2 point perspective?
> I consider myself a novice teacher, after two years part time, this is
> my first year "full time" (24hrs a week). I am teaching my eighth
> graders perspective, many of them having little art experience, and
> even though most of them are doing, well after a 1 point perspective
> refresher and brief 2 point intro (I gave a handout with step by step
> directions and walked through), I feel I am loosing some.
> The assignment is to create a cityscape... now, in the future, along
> the beach, whatever they can imagine. I want them to be jazzed! But I
> think its a combination of lack of effort and creativity of the behalf
> of students and poor teaching techniques from me. How would you
> improve this situation?
> Thank you as always!
> Sarah K.
> Quincy Catholic Academy