Re:[teacherartexchange] 50-minute periods?

---------

From: allgaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2010 - 04:27:36 PST

We used to have 50 minutes in elementary as well. Then they did the same to
us as they did to you- "45" minutes....and they didn't account for any time
between classes to clean up or set up, or travel time. IF teachers get to
the room on time and IF teachers get there to pick up on time and IF....you
are living it, I don't have to tell you! Doing that eliminated 2 elementary
art teacher jobs in elementary and my friend and I were lucky enough to get
reassigned to the same middle school where now we teach 55 minute classes,
they get art in a rotation of 5 exploratory special subjects and it adds up
to about 17-18 class periods. The middle school had such BAD art for so long
they made a new position and the kids get 2 art rotations! I teach 3-D and
have a clay studio set up and my friend teaches the 2-D projects. Working
out great and it is like being at the country club compared to the horrible
schedule and run around that my friends in elementary are putting up with.
They can't get anything done because the period suddenly becomes 35 minutes
because of the above-mentioned situations. AND they are plugging the art
teachers in to things like outside playground duty....teaching a
'enrichment' period (one friend had to teach Shakespeare to 2nd graders
believe it or not).
Nightmare.
 I consider myself very lucky to have escaped that new schedule where they
are referred to as 'encore' teacher. Makes no sense!

Good luck

Cathy in NJ