[teacherartexchange] Family Art Night

---------

From: Mark Paradise (MParadise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2010 - 07:19:06 PST

Hi Gabrielle,
Since you are going to have families attending, perhaps you could do an activity based upon a family photo. You could have them design a decorative frame and/or mat for the photo. You could use all manner of decorative items...even those mentioned previously such as stamping, collage, etc.
You could cut scrap matboard into strips that were of varying length. The width could be standardized to say 2". Each family group would get 4 pieces that could be decorated and then glued together. Lay out the first 2 pieces horizontally so that they are spaced enough apart to just cover the edges of the photo. The 2 vertical pieces can be glued at the corners so that they overlap the horizontal pieces. Glue these up first and let them set to dry for say 15 minutes. If the glue is spread thinly, it will dry quickly.

While the 'frame' is drying, they could begin stamping or rubbing designs on paper. This paper could be cut or torn and then used to wrap the frame.

Next, glue the photo to a piece of matboard that is the same size as the photo. Spread the glue with a scrap of mat board so it is very thin. This will allow the photo to lie very flat w/o bubbling up.

Mount the photo to the back of the decorated frame. You can hot melt glue a hanger to the back, or make a stand so the photo frame can stand up on a table. I use foam core or mat board and score a small tab with an xacto blade.Crease the tab and glue the small end to the back of the photo.

I will send you a few diagrams via email. Hopefully these will better explain the process. I've done this before with classes. They look great when done. I've even used the same process to make shadow boxes in which the students stamp designs on a piece of fadeless paper (stamps are made from art gum erasers and carved with a razor knife). We wrap the frame and then install a mini sculpture of a person made with Fimo clay. It's a cool lesson that combines a lot of different processes and media.
Good Luck,
Mark Paradise

>>> "TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest" <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> 12/6/2010 3:01 AM >>>
TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Sunday, December 05, 2010.

1. problem with accessing my setting
2. Re: problem with accessing my setting
3. Family Art Night
4. Re: Family Art Night