Re: [teacherartexchange] Family Art Night

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2010 - 11:00:22 PST

 Gabrielle,

Here are some thoughts!

Stamp printing to create Holiday Gift Wrapping paper. Use natural and found
objects to make stamps.
Create Collages with left over bits and pieces of construction paper left over
from the semester. Put up examples of non-objective art as inspiration.

Create Self-Portrait Collages using magazine pictures.

Set up some different stations and each station would have a different hands on
activity.
I have always loved paper weaving of all kinds...have them weave papers that
have been shredding or pre cut with a paper cutter in different widths. Or use
torn paper strips to make a weaving

Create some kind of wearable art that parents and children can put on themselves

One of favorite activities has always been crayon or oil pastel texture rubbings
using natural objects or other human made items. I have my university students
create a texture rubbing quilt. One one or two inch square or rectangle could
also be made into a piece of wearable art. You might need to glue the rubbing
on a piece of poster board and have them attach a piece of velcro on the back.

Create simple paper puzzles of famous works of art and have parents and students
put them together.

I think the station idea would give choice and help a number of people work on
the art at the same time. I would invite the children to serve as the teachers
to show parents how to work with the materials.

Hope this helps spark some ideas.

Diane