[teacherartexchange] puppet questions

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 12:05:03 PST

Hi
  I am lucky enough to have a puppetry class, so what I have posted is just the tip of the iceberg. I am just learning how to take pictures/post on Flickr. Anyway, since I buy most of the materials for the puppets with my own money (art catalogues that I can order from don't cater to puppeteers), I buy my foam from eBay. Ideally you should use what is called reticulated foam. I use upholstry foam, nothing thicker than 1". As for the Punch and Judy puppets that were papermache'd, we just built an armature out of newspaper and mached on top of that. I can't use balloons as I have a student who is allergic to latex. Also with reticulated foam and foam in general, there are specialized glues to use, I don't use them because of the toxicity. I use hot glue guns to glue everything together. Right now we are working on scarf marionettes (last year we did Czech marionettes), and we still have to do paper tube puppets and shadow puppets before the semester is over.