[teacherartexchange] photostory/voicethread

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 14:27:57 PST

I have used VoiceThread and Photostory with my students and even third graders are very competent in creating multimedia with both. I haven't heard of the ability to insert a PhotoStory video within VoiceThread - will have to look into that.
I set up Wikispaces for an upcoming collaborative project with the 4th graders. Wikispaces now has the ability for teachers to directly and quickly import their own students' usernames and desired passwords (or generate ones passwords for you). This feature was just introduced. You have to be careful with services, as many require student emails and other information which makes them in violation of the COPA law for kids under 13. VoiceThread has a free upgrade for teachers as well. Another good (but plain) service is Blogmeister, which requires all student contributions to first go through the teacher.
Kids loved the VoiceThread - seeing images posted of theirs and hearing their voices. I could see a lot of possibilities for art teachers, encouraging kids to comment on artwork, either other students' or by famous artists.

Melissa