[teacherartexchange] paper clay

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 07:15:10 PST

Dear Kim and All

I mix slip and celluclay into a gravy-like consistency (I 'eyeball'
the ratio, one-to-one in >volume< not weight) and use this for all
clay attachment for our clay sculpture class. It is much stronger
than plain slip. I use it with 'regular' pottery, especially when
re-attaching a broken, leather hard handle or another module. You can
just use shredded/soaked paper and put it through the blender with a
little slip. I store it in a covered plastic coffee can (Folgers) It
keeps for about a week before the organic materials 'ripen' and
students balk at the odor ;o)

I teach 7 - 12 and have a variety of classes using clay at different
times in the semester, so usually we just use vinegar as a slip
substitute. It's acidic property as well as it's 'color neutral'
properties make it great and versatile when one class uses red clay
and another class is finishing up with white clay. But you really
can't beat paperclay for strength.

I have never used paperclay as clay for a project. I have some
concerns that it may cause smoke during the firing, depending on the
ratio of paper to clay, thus setting off our fire alarms. Does anyone
have experience with this? I have experimented with other clay
additives for sculpture like short, thin nylon fibers -- you can get
an amazingly thin slab integrating this material throughout the clay
before rolling.

Student tree-of-life work is, I hope, still in my files at
school...when the December break is over I will add them to the Picasa
album and post.

Merry Christmas!

peggy

From: Kimberly Sajan
Peggy,
I really enjoyed looking at your photos of your students working on
their Tree of Life projects'. They looked really interesting. I would
love to see examples of their finished projects!

In one of your Picassa notes, I noticed that you mentioned paper clay.
I am not very familiar with this material. Would you be able share more
information about how you have used it in your classes, as well as how
to make it? I have seen different clay to pulp mixture ratios online. I
would love to know what works for k-12 students.

Regards,

Kim

--
Margaret Angstadt