Re: [teacherartexchange] Paper flakes in wax?

---------

From: Ray Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 19:06:52 PST

I had a couple of old crock pots- they are larger ones, I think the 4
or 5 qt. size but I am not sure exactly. I have used candles and
paraffin- whatever I find cheaper. The 99 cent store has pillar
candles usually, once we had a donation of a case of taper candles,
once I got a bunch of old paraffin at a thrift store. I just use
whatever I have- the only difficulty I have had was that the tapers
had some kind of coating on them I had to skim off/scoop out when they
melted. I end up with about 3 inches of wax melted. I put a crayon or
2 in sometimes for color- the taper candle year, the candles were
turquoise and that color tinted the wax. I just leave the wax in the
crock pots, let it harden and put them away for the next year now. I
think cleaning them would really be a pain- not worth it when second
hand crock pots are pretty available. The size I have works well
because the snowflakes cut from 8.5 x 11 paper fit in easily, but a
smaller one would work too - if the snowflake kind of bends up when
you put it in, it is easy to flatten out when you put it down to
glitter it.

We made them all day today and yesterday- the 2 crockpots started with
probably 3" wax, and ended the day with 1.5" in each- glitter however
was another story... we used up some glitter, but nothing too
excessive, really. I have about 150 students total- they each made
multiple snowflakes.

We had fun- I should have taken pictures, but I was too busy with the
glitter patrol.
Heather