Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Motivating projects for 8th graders?

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 16:04:57 PST

I love 8th graders - one does have to ease them into the more
difficult (longer problems).
I have lots of ideas on my CD of lesson plans:
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
There are a few ideas on my web site:
                                                Best of Luck, Woody
Eight graders should be able to handle working with knives and sharp

On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:33 AM, wrote:

> I have 8th graders the very first thing in the morning. They're
> tired and grumpy and some of the groups are a bit "rough". If I
> give them a project that's too simple, they don't want to do it
> because it's "boring" but a project that is interesting/creative or
> complicated seems to overwhelm them. I'm often fighting just to get
> their heads off of their desks!
> I have very little space, so a number of 3D projects are out. This
> is also a group that I've been told wouldn't be able to handle
> using any kind of knives safely. It's a large-ish class size (up to
> 30 in one class) and there are several students in each class that
> don't speak much English.
> Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I have K - 8, with
> only a minute between each class and, again, very little storage
> space, so 2D projects are best. In total, I have about 100 8th
> graders who I see once a week for 45 minutes.
> Thank you!

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

Read My Blog:

Watercolors on Note Cards