Re: [teacherartexchange] Motivating projects for 8th graders?

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 08:51:34 PST

I have the same kids, I think! Nah, I'm pretty sure all 8th graders
are the same, for the most part.

Here are my favorite lesson plans that seem to go over well:

metal repousse' -- requires a lot of prep but keeps their hands busy
for a long time
weaving projects (especially woven belts, bracelets, and other
projects that don't require a loom)
multi-part projects that involve steps and moving at their own pace
(like drawing a portrait, then using that portrait to do cubism)
Origami (good lesson for groups that need a reminder to listen to directions.)
styrofoam tray printmaking (or other printing projects)
graphic novels
building a wiki (if you have computer lab)

of course, my favorite thing is having stations that allow kids to
work at their own pace and then move to a new station. This works
especially well if you have your own classroom, but I bet it's
cart-able, too.

Mostly, I think students take it more seriously if you grade their
projects quickly and give frequent feedback in the form of grades.
Use a rubric so they can see what you expect, and give them
opportunities to rework projects for a better grade within a short
period of time. It's a lot of work and time consuming to get started,
but trust me, it saves so much time and wasted supplies for kids who
just aren't taking the class seriously. email me off list if you want
to see my rubric or have questions about any of the projects.

Becky (Charleston WV)

--
Carpe You Some Diem!
Website:  http://www.rebeccaburch.com