[teacherartexchange] Update your files!

---------

From: MWhite (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2007 - 06:44:40 PST

Happy New Year, everyone! Allow me to recommend your first New Year's
resolution: Even if you plan to stay in your current position for a
while, update your teaching file NOW. Make a detailed list of all
previous jobs with dates and duties, including extracurricular
activities you participated in--all those student exhibitions? Field
trips? Committees? Get them written down. Include names and current
position/address/phone of all former supervisors (even if you don't
include them all in your resume). Gather complete transcripts of all
classes you've taken for professional growth and certificates from
workshops. Those godawful "your philosophy of..." essays you've written
for applications--I hope you saved them. You won't be able to use them
verbatim again, but you can add to/delete portions of them to suit the
position you're applying for. Keep all letter of recommendations.
Print out examples of your best lesson plans and teaching units. Have
photos of the very best work from your students. Check the expiration
on your teaching cert and allow at least three months to renew it. If
you have a fingerprint card, check its expiration also. It will
probably have to be renewed before you can renew your cert, and it will
probably require going to the bank and getting a money order instead of
writing a check, going to the police dept. to get printed, then going to
the P.O. to mail it all off--see why it takes forever to renew? Make at
least one good photocopy of all this stuff and file it. Keep your
originals in plastic sleeves in a notebook.

Trust me, it's worth the effort. Some ten years ago I was desperately
trying to remember supervisors and dates for all the various college
classes I'd taught, and racking my brain remembering all my extracurric
activities. Since then, I've kept it all organized and now, as I'm
preparing to interview for overseas positions, I at least have all the
info in one place as I'm filling in endless forms. When I go to
interviews at the job fairs, I will have a teaching portfolio to show
and extra copies of my resumes and transcripts to hand out.

Any other veterans, please add to my suggestions.

Maggie