RE: [teacherartexchange] avoiding violent themes

---------

From: 이연성 (letsart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2007 - 06:11:22 PST

Dear Jane,

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year to you.

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and some information about censorship by the school and government in the states.

I have to agree many things that you said.

Here in Korea, there are no censorship system has been set. No educators or adminstrators are taking it seriously.

This is my situation as below;

I have studied in the states in art and art educations for my BA and MFA.

I have established my own private art school in Korea. Violent pictures were none of my concern until I have established my own school in Seoul. After running 5 years and have been taught , I have realized that many of Korean student, specially in Seoul(Big Big City), have problem of making some interesting peaceful themes in their drawings and paintings.

Most of the works they have done are not so much seriously dangerous in my oppinion. But I have thought and take a look at those works in different point of view-as their parents. And I feel worried. I start to relate some of the serious kids were having enormous stress by overloard of school works. They are not happy. becaus they have to do so much works in their early ages. They are so competitive in their society. Their parents are driving their children to become top class in ther school. They get too much responsibility and they are burdened.

So...some of the student's diary, I see very harsh drawing styles were existed. Many spikes and weapons and their forms are very rigid and straight.

But I can't really get into it because I am not professional trained as child psychology. But I instruct my teaching staffs and my self are always monitoring their works and their class behaviors. if there are too much problems, then we have meetings and then talk to their parents in counseling them. And if they want us to recommend some professionals guidance, we recommend some pathologists.

But even for normal childrens, they really enjoy using weapons which I have done that samething when I was young. But may I am getting older and teaching the children I become more responsible to help and educate them for the peaceful imaginations.

I just hope my students to get more interesting ideas and subjects and interests other than weapons in their wonderful art pieces.

Thank you Jane.

Sincerely yours,

Andy Lee