[teacherartexchange] avoiding violent themes or subjects

---------

From: 이연성 (letsart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2007 - 01:17:02 PST

Happy holidays Teacher art exchnage friends.

I am a art teacher in Korea and would like to ask some questions that I am having difficulties with.
I have students age from 5 to 12. Most of the students are very smart and talented in their basic knowledges.

But when it comes down to the creating peaceful theme and subjects, many of the boys are having hard time to choose something more peaceful.

Forexample, many of my boys are choosing a robot that can kills bad guys with missiles, razor guns...super knives and swords....etc. Always, I have tried to let my young students to pick more peaceful subject in order to make better life and world, they feel it is boring.

Many of Korean children are watching TV that has japanese animation that has something to do with metalic robot which has atomic bomb and missiles...they were raised with Good wins evil. Many of the kids believe weapon is neccessary inorder to protect themselves from evil people.

Is there any communication methods and idea generation for peaceful subject? Specially when it comes down to create a robot... Please help me out on this matter and share your experience and ideas with us.

Thank you.

Andy, Seoul, Korea