[teacherartexchange] nudes, dyes

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2007 - 17:28:43 PST

Sorry, I am so bad off, being the end of the semester, that I do not even
know which list I am posting to. I have been in a journalism class at Laney
College in Oakland, with fellow journalists making obscene comments to me
day after day. I don't know why they are picking on me, either, because I
am a woman, I guess, and they are being competitive? Does anyone have a
clue?

I think it is not worth the hazards to use Procion dyes. I used them once
with a group with no problem. The second time, I was almost sick with worry
that someone would touch the soda-ash solution. I had them all wearing
plastic from head to toe. If I did it again, I would use RIT or some other
less toxic dye, even if the color wasn't as bright. And yes, there are a
lot of ways to prepare those T-shirt without using rubber bands. In fact,
this winter I am going to make some scarves with one of the Shibori methods.
I wrap them around a PCC pipe and then push them up together. But gosh, yes
I do use rubber bands for that, come to think of it. Good luck. People
love the shirts.

I helped a master teacher do fish printing on T-shirts for 300 elementary
kids in the school auditorium a few years ago. The local market supplied
fresh fish. We put paper inside each T-shirt so it wouldn't bleed through.
The child painted the fish with acrylic paint. Then we layed the shirt on
the fish and pressed down on the fish. The teacher would not allow the
children to press down on the fish. She was very adamant about that. You
figure! They came out really well and everyone was happy with them.

Jean