[teacherartexchange] Matisse: Painter as Sculptor Exhibit now in Baltimore

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 07:04:13 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I knew this exhibit was "deja vu".... I had posted it last year when
the exhibit started in Dallas. Dallas never did do the online
presentation (site still says "coming soon").

anyways... There is a nice slide show in New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/21/arts/design/21mati.html?ref=design

DBAE teachers will like how Matisse got started in sculpture. His
first sculpture was after one made by Antoine-Louis Barye, "Jaguar
Devouring a Hair". You can find the Barye work easily on line. I
didn't find the Matisse version in a quickie Google search - but it
may be online. I can imagine how Matisse might have done it. (He did
not copy the Bayre work - he did it in his own style).

Snippets from the article:

>>"Matisse's bronze version of the Barye sculpture is near the
entrance to "Matisse: Painter as Sculptor," a stunning exhibition at
the Baltimore Museum of Art. The Barye is there too. Together they are
worth considerably more than a thousand words, however lavished with
illustrations those words might be."

>>"This show centers on nearly 50 of the 82 sculptures that Matisse
completed. Drawings, prints and paintings are interspersed, creating a
continual interplay across mediums. That Matisse saw drawing as a form
of sculpture is borne out repeatedly here. Even his simplest line
drawings are explorations of three-dimensional possibilities, and
often surge ahead of the sculpture."

"Matisse: Painter as Sculptor" runs through Feb. 3 at the Baltimore
Museum of Art, 10 Art Museum Drive, Baltimore,
http://artbma.org/exhibitions/special/matisse.html

More from New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Maggie Tucker - if you see this... What section has the article on
transforming a digital photograph into a painting style? I didn't see
that one.

Regards,

Judy Decker