[teacherartexchange] dyes, nudes

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 16:27:35 PST

When you are tie dying with Procion dyes, you have to be concerned about
soaking the shirt in soda ash, which is caustic, before dyeing. So you
can't let the kids touch the shirt without gloves on. They are not allowed
to put their hand in their eyes. The soda ash soloution is clear and looks
like water, so I would add some color drops to it. I give people garbage
bags with head and arm holes for aprons. It gives a very bright color, but
maybe it's not worth it, for safety sake.

Did someone tell you that you couldn't use rubber bands? Why the heck not?
Maybe they are telling you not to do the project, do something else.

The museums are the last guardians of our right to see pictures of naked
people. So when they take every single nude out of the textbooks and off
the internet, close down all the caberets and beaches and all the rest of
it, the museum guards will still be showing Rennaissance paintings so people
can see what the human body looks like without having to ask someone to take
his or her clothings off.

Jean Womack