[teacherartexchange] Mac Problems

---------

From: Mary Hensler (mhensler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 09:36:39 PST

Michael,

How old are your Macs; are they still under warranty. I run a lab with
over 30 Macs and do most of the Tech support myself (been using Macs
since 1990). In the past 8 years (when the Macs were first put into my
lab) I have only had to take in three Macintosh computers for repair. We
live approx. an hour by car from one of the Apple stores. I take them
down and they diagnose them right away and so far have never had to pay
anything at all for any of the service for any of my computers, even the
one that was no longer under warranty and needed a battery.

First of all in your system software discs that you received when you
purchased your Macs, you have a set of both software and hardware
diagnostic discs. You can run these programs and they may be able to
take care of most software problems; the hardware diagnostic discs will
alert you if it's an equipment issue.

If you have no luck with running diagnostics yourself, go online and
find the closest Apple store and take them both in. They will be able to
tell you exactly what your issues are. The Apple store gets things done
faster than my own district (one computer I took in on a Friday night
and it was ready for pick up by Sunday afternoon). I can not sing their
praises enough. My advice is to make friends and ask a lot of questions.

In my lab we use Photoshop, Illustrator (Adobe CS2), Fireworks, Flash
and Dreamweaver (Macromedia DX) for Emedia, Graphics I and II. For 3D
Computer Animation we use Maya 8.5.

Good luck!

Mary Hensler
Art & Technology