Re: [teacherartexchange] suggestions for fabric dye and tie-dye

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 05:01:07 PST

Greetings,

I tie dyed 30 T-shirts for Bible School this summer.....it was not fun
- although the kids loved the shirts. I use Rit dye and I do not
recommend that. Colors were a disappointment. Next summer, I will use
Procion dyes from Dharma. Next summer, I will try the spiral design as
it looks like it will take less time to tie (and it can be done with
string). I am going to try doing one color. Last summer I did circle
sunburst design and two colors with additional circle designs at the
sleeves. Each shirt took me twenty to thirty minutes to tie up -and
shirts took about forty minutes to and hour to dye. I dipped five
shirts at a time yellow first for about twenty to thirty minutes -
then blue for the rest of the shirt (being careful not to overlap
colors). There is no way I would want to do what I did with kids....
Squeeze bottles are the way to go with kids.

Here is a video:
http://beauty.expertvillage.com/videos/tie-dye-spiral.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PJnM6MK30U
This is what I am going to try this summer.

Here are directions using squeeze bottles:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/support/projects/proj0042/
looks a little "muddy" in the center when three colors are used.

The scrunch one looks easy too:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/support/projects/proj0044/
Do this one with two related colors.

Jill from Colorado sent me this link:
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000032
This shows using Sharpie permanent markers and rubbing alcohol. I
don't recommend it with a whole class of kids though as the fumes from
everyone using alcohol at once is toxic. Sharpie colored markers do
work the best for this method. We did handkerchiefs at Bible school -
but I took them home to do the alcohol - it did give me a head ache
and irritated my sinuses.

Whatever method you decide, I recommend you experiment first. I tried
several different knotting patterns when I did the shirts - then
settled on one for the rest of them (all had the sunburst yellow in
the center).

Regards,

Judy Decker