Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: December 16, 2007

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 14:03:23 PST

At the high school level, there are nudes in the textbooks and in the art
history books. I think it would be nearly impossible to teach a class
without the kids ever seeing a nude. Of course there are some high school
art classes that do not have art textbooks, like the one I taught briefly in
San Francisco. The kids are very very conservative, having been
indoctrinated against sexual assault and sexual harassment and against
drugs, etc. You have to be aware of this. I don't know how anyone ever
becomes a doctor without learning about the human body. At the very least,
you have to know the names of the bones and muscles. I don't know what I
would do if asked to teach a high school class with a live nude model. I
think it is done in some art high schools but I would probably refuse that
assignment.

In Berkeley they had a group of stark naked people marching all the way up
University Avenue in a "How Berkeley Can You Get" parade. I wasn't really
expecting to see that and I think the woman with the little kids sitting
next to me wasn't expecting it either. So I guess they have some new laws
regarding public nudity there. I have no idea what to think about that. I
asked my journalism instructor if someone took a picture of them and put it
in the newspaper, would it be invasion of privacy? He just changed the
subject. That's probably what they wanted--to have their picture in the
paper and sue the paper to get some kind of court decision setting a
precedent letting them do that, but they didn't get it from the dailies
around here. People are more interested in tree sitters than nudes around
here.

Jean Womack
Richmond, CA