RE: [teacherartexchange] I need suggestions for fabric dye and tie-dye

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 07:57:01 PST

Sounds crazy to me!

Rainbow Rock cold dyes work really well, and hold up great. I haven't
done it as a class project, but have worked with 40-H groups, and there
is a kit you can buy at Wal-Mart for about $19, the kit says it will do
about a dozen shirts, but I have easily done about twice that many.
Instead of dipping the shirts, you spray them with a spray bottle or the
provided dispenser bottles. I've even found the dye is pretty bright
even watered down by half or so. Maybe if you look them up online, you
can find a supply in bulk.

Another option for "dye" is to start with a colored shirt, and spray it
with bleach then rinse it out. Same effect, MUCH cheaper, the only thing
is the fact that bleach isn't as safe to use, especially in spray
bottles. Not to mention the smell factor.

You could use pre-cut string instead of rubber bands, just have various
lengths to choose from, they can always take more string if they run
out. Waxed string works particularly well, and doesn't come untied as
easily.

Good luck!

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher