Re: [teacherartexchange] I need suggestions for fabric dye and tie-dye

---------

From: MWhite (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 06:45:38 PST

Good lord...they don't expect much, do they? I hope they gave you
plenty of lead time to prepare. Why does it have to be done in one
day?! Is it actually done ON field day?

I'm thinking Dylon cold-water dyes would be safe since no hot water is
necessary, unlike Rit. Just mix the powders yourself, and wear a dust
mask. Limit color choices to just a very few. The school is supplying
the shirts? Make sure they're 100% cotton, and wash them--at school
expense--to remove the sizing. Your health office or custodians might
have a machine you can use. If not, the MS or HS most likely has a
machine.

Do you think they really have to be tie-dyed, since you can't use rubber
bands? Literally tying and untying string would take forever. Maybe
tie, with string, one big circle in the middle of the front and dye
that, then add more colors by painting the dye on? These are just ideas
off the top of my head...I'm sure you'll get more, and probably better,
ideas.

I would discreetly ask just how long this "tradition" has been going on,
and if it's truly been done every year. But then, I was always pretty
ornery...

Maggie