Re: [teacherartexchange] nudity in art voyerism

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2007 - 15:13:40 PST

Thank you Jane for clarifying what I said. I meant that the artist
was often the voyeur and sometimes asked the viewer to take an
uncomfortable role-- not that the teacher was getting some
titillation from the subject or presenting it in that fashion.
I think we have to be especially careful about the motivations of the
artist , and it's only through careful study that we can even begin
to convey that. Reverence of the body probably died in the
Renaissance. ( oh--- I don't really know)

there is so much stuff going on beyond the "form."

I don't even want to touch some contemporary stuff because I am
reaching my own "offended limits."

>> The photographer and
>> performance artist, Cindy Sherman, was upset that some people were
>> "turned on" by her images of disembodied figures made out of
>> mannekins and prostheses.

and yep, this is the problem ---making judgments without the
information!