[teacherartexchange] Nudity in Art Education

---------

From: Richard Gross (ralight_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2007 - 08:42:22 PST

I teach photography in a California High School. For
me its not a questions of whether nudity is
appropriate but is it defensible. The answer is a
resolving yes by the districts and State Board of
Educations own actions (or inactions). On the state
level, there is nothing mentioned about subject matter
(nudity) in the state standards on Visual Arts. On
the District level, there are filters on the Internet
in my district, yet there are countless works of art
that can be accessed from school computers showing
nudity.

I know this approach can be considered passive
aggressive, but by these examples sited the state and
district arent saying no. And that makes this issue
defensible.