RE:[teacherartexchange] murals with students

---------

From: Suzette Milam-Morrow (suzmilam_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2007 - 08:24:59 PST

I have 16 years of experience painting murals with kids. I've learned
through trial and error. I've got stories! It is a lot of work, but the
rewards are lasting. To answer your questions, use acrylic house paint. You
can often times get them donated. Ask them for safety colors. They are
bright and mix well. I've used flat, semi-gloss and gloss paint. Just pick
one and get all your paint in that type of surface. They all fade after the
same amount of exposure. Don't use any anti-graffiti top coating. It yellows
and makes it hard to do a new mural there later. If your mural gets hit by
taggers use your left over paint to fix it, although that rarely ever
happens. There are many ways to go about the mural with 28 kids. I assume it
is going to be based on your mascot since it is for the front of your
school. You can blend it with a theme such as CHARACTER COUNTS! Or put it in
a setting, such as jungle if you are Tigers. Have all the students draw
sketches and take parts from everyone's to put it all together. You can use
a grid to enlarge your images. An enlarged grid is a great skill lesson in
ratio with the kids. Last year I had two classes doing CHARACTER COUNTS!
Murals. One class wanted to work together on one big mural and the other
wanted to work in teams of 4.We walked around the school and chose some good
sites. We voted on everything. Buy in is the key to murals with kids. Both
methods of group murals were very successful. Let me know if there are any
other questions. I would be happy to send photos to Judy for IAD if there is
folks whom would like to see some of the student murals over the years. Best
wishes,
Suzette Morrow
www.suzet.com