[teacherartexchange] Win-Win Classroom - book on classroom management

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2007 - 04:55:52 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I have a copy of the book Win-Win Classroom: A Fresh and Positive Look
at Classroom Management by Jane Bluestein, Ph.D.
http://janebluestein.com/bookstore/wwc.html
from the site:
When it comes to student behavior challenges in the classroom,
conventional practices and punitive discipline codes often fail to
motivate students to change their attitudes or behavior. Recognized
for defining a nontraditional approach that really works, Jane
Bluestein offers educators ways to prevent discipline problems, build
student accountability, and end frustrating power struggles with kids
of all ages.

This authoritative, research-based guidebook discusses the impact of
stress, brain functioning, learning styles, and social and emotional
issues on student behavior. You'll find examples, guidelines, charts,
and anecdotes, along with practical, powerful, and effective ideas to
help you:

Avoid falling into the "rules and punishment" trap
Establish win-win authority relationships while defusing conflict and
opposition
Build a positive, caring, and emotionally safe learning climate
Encourage student cooperation, motivation, self-management, and
on-task behavior
Accommodate a wide variety of learning styles and preferences in a
brain-friendly atmosphere
Minimize academic failure and frustration—even with pressure to "get
through the content"
Reduce social conflict and emotional outbursts
Eliminate defiance, dependence, and disinterest
Engage even the most defiant, defeated, or resistant learner by using
powerful alternative strategies
Make your classroom (and school) culture much more positive
Build relationships with parents and other staff members
Reduce stress and burnout and make your work more enjoyable

The Win-Win Classroom will change the way you interact with students
and help you build a positive social culture within your school and
classroom.

Includes dozens of handy charts, self-assessment surveys, planning
pages, and activity sheets. For all grade levels and for anyone
working in a school setting.
I felt it was particularly good for elementary and middle school. If
you would like to preview the book before ordering send me your snail
mail address. I will send my copy to you for review. (send name and
address OFF LIST).

Regards,

Judy Decker