Re:[teacherartexchange] Marionettes and more - see Puppet Universe

---------

From: mbortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 15:57:05 PST

Every year I make rod puppets with my fourth graders - by request! They
cannot wait to create their own puppet head from styrofoam balls, plasticine
clay, tin foil finally covering the creation with plaster and paint. After,
I have them hand sew a body, stuff it and I hot glue to the heads. Next
they add hair, beards, glasses, capes, wings, tails whatever! Sometimes the
puppets hold objects, for instance there have been chefs holding cakes,
Marie Antoinette was created last year complete with a cotton ball hair-do
and crown, dragons with fire breathing out of the mouth, to reindeer with
tiny bells adorning the antlers.

A few years back I had my husband drill holes in a planks of wood that I set
the puppets up in every year at our school art show and all the students
always want to display theirs in the show. The display is great!
Performances are next on my list, I hope to have the students write plays to
perform for the younger grade levels.

Loads of fun!

mb