Re: [teacherartexchange] Lucien Freud- Etchings (slide show NY Times)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 15:44:52 PST

On Dec 14, 2007, at 6:19 PM, KPRS2 wrote:

> Lucien Freud is a premier painter. I love, love, love his work.
> Their is
> nothing grittier, more human, more "fleshy" than his work. I
> encourage other
> art teachers to google him to see his work. I am in awe of the
> application
> of paint, the rendering of flesh (as if meat), and the capturing of
> personality. While his nudes may not be accessible for your
> students, his
> portraits, and his sleeping figures with the dog are really
> wonderful as
> well. My students took pictures of his Leigh Bowery (large rotund
> sitter for
> Lucien) when we were at the Metropolitan Museum of Art two weeks
> when we
> were there, and came running to show me. Made me smile.
>
> San D

OH, me too love Lucien and he really is a relative of the Freud

And
  here is another case of careful investigation as to the artist
intention and being sure what you are presenting if you want to
avoid the controversy of nudes.
Lucien certainly deals with flesh and flab and his personal life is
all over his work
and if you want to teach about PAINTING --not style of -- he is a
master of stroke/mark-making

thanks San D and Judy for making us think about the possibilities of
true engagement of the real forms and what the artist is trying to
represent.

Patty