Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: December 11, 2007

---------

From: Jen Nelson (jennelson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 05:53:20 PST

Hi Michelle,
I didn't hear back from you, so I just told Dylan to go over to
Rienertson this morning... he should be there around 8:15.
You can send him back when ever.
jen

On Dec 12, 2007, at 2:01 AM, TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
digest wrote:

> TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Tuesday, December 11, 2007.
>
> 1. "Art can be dangerous" - Floor crack at Tate (NY Times)
> 2. Image to inspire printmaking lesson - Red Grooms
> 3. A P.S. for Red Grooms - Gertrude image
> 4. Re: Image to inspire printmaking lesson - Red Grooms

> Subject: "Art can be dangerous" - Floor crack at Tate (NY Times)
> From: "Judy Decker" <judy.decker@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:47:23 -0500
>
> Dear Art Educators,
>
> "Shibboleth" by Doris Salcedo, at the Tate Modern in London, consists
> of a possibly treacherous crack in the gallery floor.
> "As contemporary art often does, the giant crack in the floor at the
> Tate Modern here inspires different responses from different people."
>
> Caution: Art Afoot
> by Sarah Lyall
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/arts/design/11crac.html?ref=design
>
> "'Shibboleth' takes its title from the Old Testament story in which
> the ability to pronounce the word was used by the victorious
> Gileadites as a test to identify members of the tribe of Ephraim who
> were trying to sneak back into their home territory. Those who
> couldn't say it correctly were revealed as Ephraimites and killed."
>
> More Art News:
> http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html
>
> Another good example that pushes the boundary of "What is Art?"
>
> Judy Decker

> Subject: Image to inspire printmaking lesson - Red Grooms
> From: "Judy Decker" <judy.decker@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:46:31 -0500
>
> Dear Art Educators,
>
> Students often grumble when you tell them they have to make five (or
> more) prints.... They don't see the value in having multiple copies of
> the same thing. I often changed it up a bit by having them make
> different color combinations - then having them make collages.
>
> Here is an idea from Red Grooms - Gertrude:
> http://americanart.si.edu/images/1975/1975.32_1a.jpg
> I found it in EyeLevel Blog today:
> http://eyelevel.si.edu/
> This is a 3-D lithograph.
>
> Have students make five prints (or whatever number you decide). Save
> the best one as is and mat.
> Use the others to make a 3-D collage. Cut apart and glue sections to
> cardboard. Use foam core and styrofoam scraps as spacers.
>
> If anyone does this lesson idea, send a sample to Incredible Art
> Department (no lesson plan is necessary). If no one does it... then
> just add this to my never ending list of "invisible art".
>
> If anyone does want to do it, but doesn't have the time to gather
> images - let me know.... I will see what I can find.
> You might want to do this the Marvin Bartel way.... Have students come
> up with their own ideas to make the print 3-D then after the art
> making, show images of Red Grooms prints and teach about his life etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Judy Decker

> Subject: A P.S. for Red Grooms - Gertrude image
> [...]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message and any attached files is for the sole use of intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution, or copying is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by replying to this e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of this e-mail message.