Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Image to inspire printmaking lesson - Red Grooms

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 09:46:31 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Students often grumble when you tell them they have to make five (or
more) prints.... They don't see the value in having multiple copies of
the same thing. I often changed it up a bit by having them make
different color combinations - then having them make collages.

Here is an idea from Red Grooms - Gertrude:
I found it in EyeLevel Blog today:
This is a 3-D lithograph.

Have students make five prints (or whatever number you decide). Save
the best one as is and mat.
Use the others to make a 3-D collage. Cut apart and glue sections to
cardboard. Use foam core and styrofoam scraps as spacers.

If anyone does this lesson idea, send a sample to Incredible Art
Department (no lesson plan is necessary). If no one does it... then
just add this to my never ending list of "invisible art".

If anyone does want to do it, but doesn't have the time to gather
images - let me know.... I will see what I can find.
You might want to do this the Marvin Bartel way.... Have students come
up with their own ideas to make the print 3-D then after the art
making, show images of Red Grooms prints and teach about his life etc.

Judy Decker

To unsubscribe go to