Re: [teacherartexchange] ceramics question

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 07:45:08 PST

Greetings,

I really like Marvin's suggestions.... I have another that might
salvage the platter. You would not be able to glaze it so it would be
decorative more than functional. I have used this technique often for
cracked pieces.

Continue to dry the piece very slowly so it doesn't crack more. Maybe
try drying it on a piece of foam. Bisque fire very slowly so crack
doesn't get worse. After firing, fill in the crack(s) with plaster
(sand smooth). Glue on any pieces that have popped off. Paint the
platter with flat black spray paint (or flat acrylic paint). Add color
with oil pastels blended with baby oil and Q-Tips (or use oil paint
sticks - a bit more pricey). You can also accent with all of the
colors of Rub N Buff to give a bit of metallic sheen. This technique
was made popular by David Stabley (links to his work are on my site).
My students loved the look. We found we had to mix white oil pastels
with the colors to make them show up better.

If you use this idea.... or Marvin's idea.... Please share an image with us.
I get frustrated with all of the "invisible art" (smile). I like to
see how our ideas materialize.

Regards,

Judy Decker