Re: [teacherartexchange] ceramics question

---------

From: MWhite (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2007 - 18:10:44 PST

Ellen,

It's really, really hard to give up on a ceramic piece you've worked
hard on, but I'm afraid that's what this student will have to do. In my
experience, it's just a lot easier to have the student begin again early
on than try to continually fix it. Flat pieces are prone to cracking as
they dry, especially if they're fairly large--think of a lake bed as it
dries. It could be the bottom was too thin, or the clay body just not
suitable for thin flat pieces. Sometimes students just stress the clay
too much by patting or stretching it (how was it carried from the slab
roller to the platter?). I hope someone else chimes in with a
miraculous solution, because I would tell the poor girl to begin again.
I feel her pain!

Maggie