Re: [teacherartexchange] 1st grade lesson

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 13:12:15 PST

Erin, I think Miro is a good choice. When I use his work with 1st gr, we
incorporate what we have learned about the five kinds of line- horizontal,
vertical, dotted, diagonal, and curved.
We identify them and subject as well. We then use chalk and rub with
cotton, and then black paint to create our art. They also need to use the 5
kinds of lines, or as many as they can. You can tie it in with family,
animals, whatever you would like to have them be able to better relate to
their subject. We have talked about symbols in art, and I use a heart or
smiley face as an example, but symbolim is still a bit of a foreign concept
to them at that age. They use them, but don't understand that they are
using them- in my experience with them. Adding color is is a good idea, but
I usually stick with the black lines and chalk for that, and would consider
adding color only if you are going to use more than one class period. my 2
cents
Betsy