Re: [teacherartexchange] need art lesson plan help

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 07:59:51 PST

Hi,
You could start with a DATA SET to teach the key points to a particular
style.

A data set works like this:
- use either an overhead projector with colour transparencies, or a data
projector and the computer.
- you need two sets of images (the number of images is up to you, but it
needs to be the same number in each set)
- one set (lets call it SET A) contains images that are PART of the style of
art you wish to discuss....lets do Expressionism as an example
- one set (lets call it SET B) contains images that are NOT PART of the
style of art you wish to cover...so you could use impressionism, post
impressionism, and anything else that they know, or perhaps is similar in
content to the images you have chosen for SET A
- do not put any identifying features on the images (no artist names, dates,
titles, etc.) - just an A or B so you know which set it belongs to
- the images are then displayed side by side, one pair at a time...one A and
one B - and you can say, this belongs to set A, this to set B
- the goal is to have the students figure out what it is about set A that
makes it part of set A, and what is it in the images of set B that excludes
it from set A
They could be coming up with things like the brush strokes, the colours, the
subject matters, etc.
- When you have gone through all the image pairs, and the students have
figured out the data set criteria (what is it that makes those images belong
to set A) then you can do a writing activity, and create a chart, or list,
or note coving those points.

I've done this with several styles - like Roman architecutre versus
Medieval....
I've also done this as a table activity - I gave each group of students (3 -
4 students) an envelope containing about 30 colour images (all laminated) of
greek vases. I tell the students to look at the all the images, and then
divide them into a classification group (ie: a data set). I tell them that
there is a minimum of 2 data sets, and a maximum of 5 data sets. They often
come up with things like - dividing them based on the type of handles, or
what the image is (sports, soldiers, etc.) or by the shape of the body of
the vase.....occassionally I get some that get the correct data set -
Geometric (where the designs feature bands of horizonal patterns), Red
Figure (red people on black glazed backgrounds), and Black Figure (people in
black glazed on red backgrounds). Once all the groups think they have
decided the sets, we go through them and discuss all the options, and then
settle on the three listed above - they write a quick chart in thier notes,
etc.

Good luck!
sue