Re: [teacherartexchange] need art lesson plan help

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 06:48:35 PST

Hi, there!

I just finished a unit in which I had students compare and contrast
works by Seurat and Van Gogh, and then create either a pointillist
landscape or a landscape in the style of Van Gogh with choppy
brush-strokes, using optical mixing to achieve light and shadow. (You
could really use other Impressionist artists for this project, too...
I just happened to have some good digital images of those two artists
on hand.)

I didn't use a lesson plan for it, just showed examples of several
works of art by the artists on Powerpoint and used Photoshop to blow
up detail spots to show the colors used. We talked about how black
isn't really used, and the shadows are achieved by using more blues
and dark, cool, browns instead of black. The kids made note of
several different color recipes, like Seurat's skin tones (dots of
orange, yellow, white, pink, and red, with more yellow and white on
highlights and more blue and purple in the shadows) out loud.

They are now working on their Seurat or Van Gogh-inspired landscapes.
If you want, I could send you some pictures of their work and the
examples I used, but I would have to send them tomorrow from my school
computer. (I really need a laptop! I never have stuff when I want
it.) The students' projects vary wildly, but I like that they're
really getting into mixing color on the paper, rather than painting
everything with a solid color. The trick is to keep them from
over-blending their colors on the paper. They want to blend the heck
out of everything until it's really smooth.

It helps to have the students do a color wheel and discuss color
harmonies before doing this lesson. I do have a lesson plan for that,
and a printout color wheel students can use.

Becky
Charleston Catholic High School
Charleston WV