Re: [teacherartexchange] "Who Is Aaron Dougls?" Exceptional Professional Development Offering

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 08:54:14 PST

I was able to attend the event concerning Aaron Douglas at the Gem Theater
yesterday. I met Emanuel Cooper and a couple of old friends while I was there.
The evening revealed evidence of Douglas teaching in Kansas City prior to
moving on to New York. I had not been aware that Douglas was born in Topeka.
Aaron taught at Lincoln High School. A friend of mine named Andrea teaches art
there now. If you ever get into Kansas City do visit the restored, historic 18th
and Vine district and it's Jazz Museum, Gem Theater and the Negro Baseball
Museum. It's a real treasure.

The Spencer Museum at the University of Kansas in Lawrence will have an
exhibit of Aaron Douglas paintings next year. It runs September through
December.
                                            Woody

    American Jazz Museum | Gem Theater 18th & Vine
    Kansas City, Missouri

    6:00 - 8:00 pm