Re: [teacherartexchange] Kiln Questions

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 12:31:16 PST

My kiln thermocouple broke last week and I'm suffering with a little old kiln with a kiln sitter that I glued back together...I decided to look for a new one and start working on it. I got a catalog from the Cress Kiln Company in Carson City, Nevada and I can get their super large size with automatic control for around $2100 so I think you need to look around a little. If you are buying through the catalogs, call up Sax or whoever and ask them what they can do for you. You definitely want the automatic controls and some kind of ventilation of you don't have it already.

>>> kans@prn.bc.ca 12/19/2006 12:26 pm >>>
After 7 years of asking I have finally received funding to purchase a new
kiln. (Ironically they finally fixed the old kiln last year after 6 years
of asking but I am not giving up the funding!) However i am confused about
the wide variety of kilns available. What is the difference between a
single phase and a three phase. honestly i only do the very basics with the
students (HS) but I still want to get my money's worth. The kiln i have now
is a kiln sitter model (ancient) and I thought it might be nice to get an
automatic kiln with a kiln controller. The Skutt kilns seem to fit into my
price range ($4000.00 CND) but i thought that i would ask for some advice
before jumping in and buying the wrong thing.

Thank you!

Kim