Re: [teacherartexchange] Kiln Questions

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 16:40:42 PST

Two years ago I was able to purchase a Skutt kiln and I am VERY happy with
it! I was SO confused over all the technical aspects of purchasing a kiln,
so I went to the building construction teacher (who was very knowledgable
about electricity) and had him figure out what kiln I could get that would
fit the wiring I had access to. We had just undergone extensive remodeling
and my kiln room had just been wired, so I knew if re-wiring was involved I
wouldn't get a new kiln. The BC teacher figured out exactly what I needed
and I have had no troubles with it. I did go to a nearby pottery store that
services kilns and they shared tips and tricks on kiln maintenance and how
to prolong the life of your kiln. Probably the most worthwhile workshop I
have ever attended!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids