RE: [teacherartexchange] Kiln Questions

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 13:11:57 PST

At my previous school, we had a Skutt kiln with the computer controller.
I loved it! So easy to figure out how to use, and held up well. I bought
the largest size that was still single-phase, so it was less of an
electric issue. We found one used, at huge savings. Do spend a little
more for the thicker kiln brick, it saves quite a bit of energy when
firing the kiln, and keeps the kiln room cooler. You may also want to
check into local companies that do trucking. When we bought a pottery
wheel, I was able to save around $400 just by having it picked up when
local trucker was going through that area (where it would be shipped
from the manufacturer) empty they were willing to pick it up for us.
That was the "deal maker" for my administration.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us