Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: December 14, 2006

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 19:08:41 PST

I have to laugh at the districts who make such a fuss over not celebrating
Christmas in the school, but I'd be willing to bet that regardless of
religion your school will not be in session on Dec.25, regardless of what
day of the week it falls on. And why don't we have school on Sunday (the 7th
day, the day of rest)? Seems some pick and choose which Christian traditions
that they see benefit in. My father-in-law married a woman from Tibet. While
she has not adopted the Christian religion, she does enjoy the Christmas
season and celebrates the holiday with us - gift giving, church, dinner, and
respects and appreciates it for what it is. We, in turn, respect her culture
and enjoy learning and celebrating her traditions with her.
I don't necessarily do holiday art, but rather we do alot of winter
projects. If students include religous symbols that is their choice. I think
if you want to do holiday related art you just need to know your community.
I teach in a mono-culture, so any other religious holidays I share is
usually the only introduction the students have.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids