RE: [teacherartexchange] Holiday art- to make or not in our public schools?

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 16:47:14 PST

Subject: [teacherartexchange] Holiday art- to make or not in our public
schools?

In a message dated 12/16/2006 10:49:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
flegman@comcast.net writes:
I'm just curious - since many of you make Christmas projects - bells,
trees,
etc., does everyone in your class celebrate Christmas?

I have always felt that the holidays bring out a lot of emotions in both
adults and children. It seems a good opportune time to discuss how
emotions can be expressed thru art. When I taught in public school I
introduced it in that way. We talked about family, celebration,
gatherings, traditions, giving/taking, traveling, and anything else the
students brought up. I then offered an opportunity for them to create a
special piece of artwork to express their feelings. I often offered
several different media to broaden the assignment even more. I saw a lot
of Christmas trees but also Jewish symbols, some Muslim traditions, some
paintings of families reminiscent of Norman Rockwell and some abstract work.

My favorite piece ever was a 6th grader who created a very vibrant, abstract
painting with lots of swirls and multitudes of colors. When I asked him
to share with me about his inspiration he said that December was his
favorite month because that was the month their family adopted a little
Korean baby that they had been waiting on for a year. He said his
painting described his feelings of excitement and anticipation as they
waited for the baby to arrive. His little sister was 2 at that time.
It was so touching! I asked him if he would mind writing up an artist's
statement. He gladly did so and we exhibited his painting in the office.

Cindy