[teacherartexchange] "Who Is Aaron Dougls?" Exceptional Professional Development Offering

---------

From: Emanuel Cooper Jr. (euphrates3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 02:36:10 PST

Invitation | Press Release

"Who Is Aaron Douglas?"

Cultural Education Resource
Exceptional Professional Development Offering
Free Public Reception | Lecture | Press Conference

Monday, 18 December 2006
American Jazz Museum | Gem Theater 18th & Vine
Kansas City, Missouri

6:00 - 8:00 pm

rsvp: 816.235.6183 asap

Cultural Education Reception

As a first in a series of ?Pre Aaron Douglas Regional
07 Celebration Cultural Education Events,? a free
public reception, lecture and press conference will be
held at the American Jazz Museum located at 18th &
Vine Street in Kansas City, Missouri, on Monday, 18
December 2006 at 6:00 pm. The cultural education event
will open in the atrium of the American Jazz Museum's
Gem Theater at 6:00 pm and continue with a lecture
followed by a Q&A session and press conference at 7:00
pm to 8:00 pm.

The primary subject focus of the first in a series of
cultural education offerings will be on ?Who Is Aaron
Douglas?: A Popular Culture Introduction to the
American History Contextual Significance of the Life
and Work of Aaron Douglas.? A lecture on the subject
of ?Who Is Aaron Douglas?? will be presented by Carol
Rhodes Dyson, Interim Director of The American Jazz
Museum and former Co-Founder of Euphrates Gallery,
Inc. Proposed jazz performance will be provided by
Lisa Henry (Jazz Vocalist). Dr. Thomas Garrison
(Pianist, Euphrates? Sr. Advisor, Music Education)
will accompany Lisa Henry. Newly discovered
unpublished primary resource material will be
exclusively presented to the public for the first time
during the event. Presentation of pristine primary
source material certifies Aaron Douglas? direct
association with Lincoln High School, Art Education,
The Kansas City, Missouri School District and The 18th
& Vine Neighborhood.

Historical Sketch

Fisk University received a prestigious collection of
modern American and European Art in 1949 from Georgia
O?Keeffe. The significant gift was made as a response
to the occasion of the passing of her husband, Alfred
Stieglitz, in 1946. Alfred Stieglitz had been
considered the Father of Modern Photography. Georgia
O?Keeffe?s philanthropic investment of 101 works of
art to Fisk University represented an estimated one
tenth of Alfred Stieglitz?s personal collection of
?almost 1000? works. At the time of her gift O?Keeffe
asked that the collection be ?exhibited intact.?
O?Keeffe?s personal interest in the Alfred Stieglitz
Collection was reflected in her personal visit to Fisk
University?s campus in Nashville, Tennessee, where she
directed the collection?s installation. Fast forward.
In current history the Radiator Building-Night, New
York, (1927) painted by O?Keeffe and included in the
Stieglitz Collection donated to Fisk, has become the
center of controversial revenue development by the
university ref: NPR: University to Sell O?Keeffe Gift
Painting, Things Considered, December 9, 2005.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5046875

Rewind to the past. With the support and vision of
Charles S. Johnson, Fisk University?s first African
American President, Aaron Douglas considered by some
scholars as being the Father of the Visual Arts
Movement of the Harlem Renaissance Experience (Harlem
Renaissance 1920 - 1940) and by others the Dean of
African-American painters, established Fisk
University's Department of Art. Aaron Douglas was
Department Chair during the exhibition preparation and
installation of the Alfred Stieglitz Collection,
personally supervised by O?Keeffe. Carol Van Vechten,
philanthropist and renowned photographer of American
Black Society (1920?s - 1930?s) is credited with
prompting O?Keeffe?s gift to Fisk University. Aaron
Douglas served as the university?s Art Department
Chair for 30 years.

Locally. We have yet to discover or to celebrate the
life and work of Aaron Douglas, who taught art at
Lincoln High School in Kansas City, Missouri between
1923 and 1925 before leaving for New York. During
Douglas? teaching assignment in Kansas City, Lincoln
High School was located at ?Nineteenth, N.E. Cor.
Tracy.? Aaron Douglas lived at 1824 Paseo, YMCA
(Residence Telephone Number: GR 0885). The Paseo YMCA
in Kansas City, Missouri still stands today. Aaron
Douglas lived in the 18th & Vine Neighborhood. We can
imagine that he would have walked no more than two
blocks to work and he would have walked, shopped and
found entertainment along Vine Street. At some point
he would have surely stood on the corner of 18th &
Vine. In short, Aaron Douglas lived among our history.

Today. It has been 35 years since a retrospective of
Aaron Douglas? work has been produced. In popular
culture we are left with questions of simple
introduction. ?Who is Aaron Douglas?? More
importantly, we are left with the urgent need to
answer as many questions as we are able to uncover.
In turn we should embrace the significant meaning of
our discoveries. Most importantly as cultural
education outcomes we should celebrate our unfolding
awareness of Douglas? contribution to our local and
national cultural dialogue.

Developing Collaboration

?Who Is Aaron Douglas? is being presented by the
developing collaboration of the Association for the
Study of African American Life and History: Lorenzo J.
Greene Branch; Euphrates Gallery, Inc.; Kansas City,
Missouri Public Library, Central Branch; American Jazz
Museum; Missouri Department of Natural Resources;
Kansas City Art Institute; The John Wornall House
Museum; The Missouri State Historical Society; Kansas
City, Missouri School District; DonorEdge | Grater
Kansas City Foundation; Heritage League of Greater
Kansas City and Fare Share: National Initiative as
part of the proposed planning, development and
production of ?Aaron Douglas Regional 07 Celebration?
(September 2007 - December 2007).

To join and or support the developing collaborative or
to secure additional information please contact
Emanuel Cooper, Jr., President, ASALH, Inc: Lorenzo J.
Greene Branch; Chair, Euphrates Gallery, Inc:
816.483.5718

Euphrates Mission

Euphrates has a Cross-Cultural, Cross-Discipline,
Education mission. We seek collaborations with
organizations, corporations and individuals, with like
vision,

Euphrates? Vocation | Avocation

Euphrates? vocation and avocation is Cultural Studies
Research and Cultural Education Content Development

On 14 December 1984 Euphrates Gallery was incorporated
in Kansas City, Missouri. In January 1986 Euphrates
Gallery, Inc. was granted exemption from Federal
income tax under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.

To request Euphrates History or ASALH: Lorezo J.
Greene History e.mail euphrates3@sbcglobal.net

rsvp 816.235.6183