Re:[teacherartexchange] Call for clothing tags for conceptual art piece

---------

From: christine (kotarsky_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 20:02:04 PST

I find this piece interesting due to the fact that my mother and father went
into bankruptcy because of garments going over seas. They owned a sewing
factory and made mostly ladies blouses in the 70's and into the 80's.
This was a devastation to our family. While growing up I worked in the
factories. I was trained to buy US garments and to look at the labels. I
still find myself doing so. When I find a made in the USA label I am excited
and may by it just for that reason.
My father, 20 + years later, still has the sewing machines, crates, and
fabric stored for memories. I believe he may even have labels. The labels
bear the ILGWU
International Ladies Garment Workers Union
I have a few blowses that I keep as a reminder of a lost industry in
America.

I would love to send you labels. When I go to my dad's over the break I will
ask him if he has any labels. (If this is waht she is looking for.) Let me
know

This gives me insprition to do a piece on the extinct US garment industry.
Christine