RE: [teacherartexchange] making a paper mache conche shell

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 08:46:00 PST

Gosh, I bet a partially slashed exercise ball would work for the form.
You could roll one end of the cut edge in on itself and start spiraling
around it. I'm not sure what would hold the spiral shape in place while
the paper mache was drying - maybe some strong thread or thin wire
actually pushed straight thru the rolled up layers to hold it. Think
along the lines of a toothpick thru a croissant. Maybe some gym might
even had one of those large balls which they were gonna throw away
'cause it had a leak?

Jan

You could also use chicken wire or hardware cloth to create the form.
I'd see if a gym class or a co-worker has one of those big exercise
balls to keep it open. You could also use cardboard ribs for support
inside or outside if needed.

Wish I could come make it for you, sounds like fun to me!

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us