Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] cracked clay

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 12:14:14 PST

2 reasons: you may be leaving water in the bottom of the bowl when you're finished--
it causes cracks because the bottom stays wet when the rest is dried and shrunken.
Another thing that would help would be to open the bottom of the bowl, then wring the
water out of your sponge and press the bottom of the pot with it. It will compress the
molecules just as you compress the sides when you lift. Sid

>>> 12/6/2006 2:27 pm >>>
I'm not sure, but we always let our clay pieces dry on
a piece of newsprint so as the piece shrunk the paper
would move with the clay to avoid cracks.
                                Just Perhaps, Woody

On Dec 6, 2006, at 3:19 PM, Carolyn Keigley wrote:

> Could anyone tell me why my students wheel thrown pots will get cracks
> in the bottom of their ware?
> And a big thank you for letting me know how to write to this list.
> Carolyn at Tahoe

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703

of your artwork that soars." from: "Art & Fear"

Woody's Watercolor Portfolio:
Newest Fantastic Triplet Pics:
My newest watercolors: